Posted to alt.home.repair
comcastss news groups comcastss news groups is offline

Default Can I shorten existing radiator?

We are redoing our Kitchen and I would like to move the fridge to a
different location.
This would put the fridge in front of a forced hot water floor radiator.
It seems like it would not be a good idea to be pumping hot air into the
bottom back of the fridge.
From memory I'd guess the radiator is 1/2" or 3/4" copper with metal fins on
it to disperse heat. There is a 5" - 6" tall metal plate that covers the
length of fins.
Can these radiators be shortened by cutting the pipe, remove some fins near
the end, and sweat a new copper elbow on, Then adjust and reconnect the
plumbing under the floor.

Or would I have to buy and install a new section that was made to the new
shorter length?

TIA

Steve