Posted to rec.woodworking
Patriarch Patriarch is offline

Default Ode to Hardware Stores

"Olebiker" wrote in
ups.com:

On Feb 28, 1:14 pm, wrote:
This came through the Old Tools mailing list and can be found

athttp://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/programs/2007/02/19/index.html
#...

I thought it was poignant.

Ode to Hardware Stores

(snip)

The author teaches at Florida State University here in Tallahassee and
I recognize many of the references. Eppes Hardware hasn't been gone
all that long.

I don't share her nostalgia for hardware stores though. Give me an
orange or blue Borg any day. I want to be able to buy what I want
when I want it at a reasonable price without some wholesaler adding an
unnecessary layer of cost to the item.

Dick Durbin
Tallahassee

I enjoyed the article, and remember Fred Kelleway's old hardware store
on North Main with great fondness. I'll often come across something in
the bins that still has a sticker on it, from back in the 60's or 70's,
and remember Fred's. A great old building, with great old characters
that ran it. There's a pool parlor there now, and has been for at least
15 years.

Four blocks from where I live now, in a strip mall, next to an overstock
& remainders department store, there's a hardware store. Peter's in his
forties, but has been in the business since he was a kid, working with
his grandfather. His place is classic old school, but clean and neat.
His brothers have a store on the other side of the hills, over by the
Bay in Berkeley, and his sister runs grandpa's old place in North
Oakland. These folks make decent money, but work hard, and price their
products competitively. Certainly no more than the BORG, often less,
and I can park right in front, get called by name, and helped
personally. His wife and daughters work there, too, except when they're
out swimming or playing soccer. They are a real asset to the community.

Peter doesn't sponsor the 30 different DIY shows on the tube, though.
What they do is much closer to home, with Adult Ed, and the various
community activites. Suits me fine.

Takes all kinds. We need to remember that.

Patriarch