Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Security card latches

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:05:26 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 22:04:09 -0800, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

"Malcolm Hoar" wrote in message
In article , "Eigenvector"
wrote:
Has anyone ever installed swipe card locks on their home rather than use
traditional lock and key? What about those cards you use in hotels?

I haven't but I did love the keypad option on my garage door.

However, don't forget to think about what happens in the event
of a power failure. That could be a big problem unless you have
some battery backup and/or an alternate means of entry.

Yeah I was thinking about that too. It would suck to be locked out of
your
house for lack of a few volts

But why would that be any more likely than any other power garage door
opener? If the swipe pad had no power, neither would the motor.

So? If the garage door won't open, is that your only way into the house? If

I didn't say that and I didn't say it was a problem. But iiuc Malcolm
and Eigenvector thought it was more of a problem with a security card
than with a standard remote transimitter. I'm asking why it would be
worse with one than the other.

you answer "yes", then you need to revise your thinking a bit.