Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy robo hippy is offline

Default live center?

On Feb 28, 7:17 am, (Arch) wrote:
Hi Gary,

I won't get into the argument re 'boring vs drilling' ie. rotating the
work vs rotating the bit. Probably only important if at all, when making
holes in burl which sort of resembles metal. I imagine your rolling
pins are made of hard wood. If so, I couldn't push a bit thru the tail
stock or push the tailstock & bit by hand so I'd have to drive a fixed
bit in increments with the tailstock handwheel & ram. (boring) or drive
the bit with a hand drill (drilling). IOW, a simple hollow MT center,
dead or alive, with no set screw or no hand drill doesn't work for this
weakling, but you may be stronger.

I have drilled axial holes with a bit thru a bushing held in the tool
post and driven by a hand drill, but only for work held in a chuck with
the headstock spindle fixed. I don't have a live hollow tail center.

Dan, centering a spoon bit was tricky for me, so for long holes I
started with a center drill followed by a twist drill, then a 'D' bit.
There must be a better way and my one old spoon bit may not have had a
sharp enough point so it wandered. Any tips for Gary & me?

Oh man, I got carried away. but I typed this confusing mess, so I'll
post it for laughs. You guys will be 85 someday.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Well, I never did like the bearing, bored handles, and so many people
(women mostly) look at mine and tell me about one that they had for
years until the handle fell off. I just make mine out one chunk of
solid wood, handles and all.
robo hippy