Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric Kent Eric Kent is offline

Default Req any advice on home security systems....what to get, DIY vs Pro install

With all the recent press about the bump key, and having seen a bit of
a show called Catching A Thief, I'm interested in putting in a home
security system.
Should I have a pro do it or can I DIM(yself). I was an audiophile at
one time and did my own installations....don't know if that qualifies
me as being able to install an alarm system, but just trying to give
some background.
I would like sensors on the windows, doors, and motion/heat sensor.
I'd also like a camera or two on the outside of the house tied in with
a motion sensor, so it would trip if there were someone walking around
outside my house and I could look at the monitor.

Do that make stuff that can tie in with my computer so I could look
from my computer desk?

Also, if you get a pro to do the install, must you sign a X year
contract and pay for install, sign contract only..... I would prefer
to pay for the install (if not done myself) and just do a monthly
contract.

I am looking on the web to gather information, but I wanted to get
some initial information here. I don't expect anyone responding to
tell me everything about Home Security, but I would hope for some
useful responses to get me started.

Thank you,

Eric