Dan Caster

Default Alternative Fuels (was Cliff's Magic Bowl -10 inch OD 30 inch OD Circumference)

In some locations ( not the Pacific Northwest ) solar hot water
augmentation does have a low ROI of about a year or two. By this I
mean use of solar hot water collectors used to reduce the energy used
for heating hot water. This was as I remember from a hospital in
Florida that used simple Black pvc pipe solar heaters to reduce their
energy costs. Other things they looked at or tried were not cost
effective. One of the keys is figuring out what amount of
augmentation is economical.

Dan

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message news

Nearly all alternatives are efficient and viable in small
quantities. But solar electricity/hot water should be part
of all new homes (+5% cost, 2-5 yr ROI, cheaper than building
more dam/nuke/natgas plants), electric/gas hybrid cars should
be put out by every mfgr by now, and new buildings should be
made semi self-sufficient.

What is the source for the claim that solar electricity has a 2-5 yr. ROI,
Larry? The figures I've seen show a payback period of...never.

But I'm interested in whatever you have there.

Ed Huntress