Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Shellac brushing help needed

On Feb 27, 10:07 pm, wrote:
I'm working on a picture frame and having problems trying to brush
schellac. I'm using waxy bullseye clear (dated April 2006). I cut it
down to less than 2 lbs.

Previously I padded my shellac and had good results. I thought I had
this shellac stuff figured out, now I feel like a knucklehead.

This time I rubbed out and was not happy with the results, so
reapplied and rubbed out again, still not happy, had dull spots, etc.

Dull spots are probably from areas of end grain absorbing the thin
cut
shellac.

In frustration, I stripped all of it off with an alchohol soaked rag.

I think I just put too many coats on too thick, and too fast. Anyone
ever had this happen during thier first attempts?

I just reapplied the first coat, and tried to put it on as thin as
possible.

How soon should I wait until the next coat? And after how many coats
should I stop?

Get the Bullseye in the spray can. No wax, and no oxygen to turn
the bug juice into a nondrying gum. Three wet, thin coats, letting
each coat dry to the touch. Rub out after an overnight cure.