Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default time delay switches and extractor fans!

On 27 Feb 2007 12:40:47 -0800 someone who may be "Nigel"
wrote this:-

Hi, in my cloakroom I have a light and extractor fan ( no windows ),
the fan has a run on of a few minutes after the light switch is turned
off which is fine and alll works dandy. The issue is that the switch
for the cloakroom is on the outside, which again is fine but what
tends to happen is that they switch on the light first, enter the room
do their business and then close the door leaving the light and hence
the fan on. It can be quite some time before someone realises that the
light is still on - wasting power and melting ice caps etc.....

Replace the switch with a gridswitch plate with two spaces. In one
space of the gridswitch fit a switch, in the other fit a neon
indicator which comes on when the light is energised.
http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products...p?RangeID=1026

Alternatively switches with neon indicators built in are available.

I was in B&Q the other day and saw a neat little timer delay switch
with touch control, looked exactly what I was after, replaces a normal
light switch, did a soft start of the light and remained on for a
configurable number of minutes before switching off.

A good way of getting people to only pay quick trips I suppose.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh