Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction

Default do sloppy copper joints fail easier?

wrote in message

Anyway, they aren't leaking and I tried to shake them/stress the joint
and they still hold fine. My question is this, it is possible that I
burned off the flux while heating it so long...does this mean that
these joints can fail prematurely? or is it that if it holds water,
it is fine and will last as long as a nice looking joint. I have read
that pinholes can happen when the joint is soldered, but not sure
about after the fact.

Yes, it is possible. If you got a good bond of solder inside the joint, it
will last forever. The crappy look may be just on the outside. Keep an eye
on it though. If you have to do it over, use a hotter torch rather than
play on the joint with a little propane job. You sometimes overheat the
outside in order to get the right heat to the inside and allow for the
solder to flow.