Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Amazing Shrinking Doorway!

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message

"Don Young" wrote in message

I tried to move it, but only cracked the door frame. It refused to
move,
even after removing the screws on the storm door frame. There was no
room to move as there is no gap between the storm door frame and the
entry frame.

It is not clear just why the door is binding but it seems strange that
there would be absolutely no gap between the two frames. Door frames are
not real high precision assemblies and there is usually some allowance
for mis-alignment and/or sllightly differing dimensions.

I suspect that the solution to your problem will require removal of both
frames and cutting back the rough opening to allow enough space for the
doors and their frames to fit squarely in the opening with the proper
clearances all around. You should not attempt to install them too
tightly, they need small gaps everywhere.

This I know. There is a small gap between the door jam (rough opening)
and the entry door frame (less than 1/4"). There is zero gap between the
entry door frame and the storm door frame. If I go to the trouble of
doing as you suggest I would go the extra mile and put in a real door and
storm door.

However, the point I am trying to get an answer to is how the door frame
can shrink on the outside edge only when there is an aluminum threshold
preventing the frame from moving in. It was only jamming at the bottom
foot to foot and a half. There was still a gap between the rough opening
and the frame (I looked under the molding). Nothing anyone has said makes
any sense of the situation. After returning a week after this problem
developed the problem is gone, for now.

Mike Dobony

I agree that it seems very strange and that the reason has probably not been
found. It may be in the category of "one of the world's great mysteries", of
which I have had my share. I do think that the solution is to just open up
the clearances, however that might be done, and you are probably the only
one who can determine how that might be. Good luck.

Don Young