jim rozen

Default Alternative Fuels (was Cliff's Magic Bowl -10 inch OD 30 inch OD Circumference)

In article , Gary Coffman says...

The currently available small commuter vehicles have two strikes
against them. The first is that the efficiency improvement is small
compared to small diesels while costs are higher. The second is
that buyers don't want them.

Nobody really gets this.

People want SUVs, pickups, large sedans, etc which can serve
other purposes besides just commuting, and which offer a
perceived safety advantage in collisions. GM will be fielding a
hybrid pickup (1500 series) in a couple of years. We'll see how
the numbers work out on that. I'm not optimistic.

Consider that a mildly tweaked honda civic gets about the
same mileage as one of the honda/toy hybrids, right now,
using conventional technology. But nobody wants to drive
a roller skate, they all want the White Freightliner!

Presently, in the US, there is no breeder activity (the two main
breeders in the US are currently shut down), and spent fuel rods
from commercial reactors are stored on site rather than being
recycled.

Why? There's no economic or technical incentive to do so,
and there's a *huge* political cost to be paid if one tries
to do so. This is hardly likely to change in the near
future.

Throw another log on the fire, it is getting chilly in here.

Well as they say, "sometimes global warming means, it
gets colder." :^)

Jim

please reply to: