Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default ? Best product for a basement cement floor ?

On Feb 27, 9:01 am, "Eric" wrote:
My house is 10 years old. The basement floor is in good condition. The
occasional hairline crack. To my knowledge, no water has come up
through the floor (the perimeter is well drained and there is a sump
pump in place). However, I do get some moisture that comes up through
the floor ... I can't see it BUT as I lift rumber pads that are on the
floor in the kids playroom, I do smell that basement/musty aroma!!!

There is grey cement floor paint in place. I am wondering if there is
a product (paint, epoxy, ...??) that could be applied to minimize that
natural moisture you get coming through cement?

Any insight would be great!

Cheers!

E.

Eric N. Leclair

Unfortunately mositure barriers are best placed under the concrete,

plus you've already got paint in place.

I have used with great success the following product

Rustoleum High Performance Industrial DTM Epoxy Mastic

http://www.rustoleum.com/tds/9100%20...51_2032990.pdf

They call it mastic but its really a two part epoxy paint / activator
paint system.

It goes on pretty thick; two coats needed to develop minimum suggested
film thickness

It's avaliable in SoCal at Vista Paint

I suggest you read the surface prep section, moisture coming through
the concrete is problematic for this product (as it is for most
coatings)

In the Pools section they describe a moisture transmission test, I
would recommend it.

cheers
Bob