Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony Mike Dobony is offline

Default Amazing Shrinking Doorway!

"Don Young" wrote in message

I tried to move it, but only cracked the door frame. It refused to move,
even after removing the screws on the storm door frame. There was no
room to move as there is no gap between the storm door frame and the
entry frame.

It is not clear just why the door is binding but it seems strange that
there would be absolutely no gap between the two frames. Door frames are
not real high precision assemblies and there is usually some allowance for
mis-alignment and/or sllightly differing dimensions.

I suspect that the solution to your problem will require removal of both
frames and cutting back the rough opening to allow enough space for the
doors and their frames to fit squarely in the opening with the proper
clearances all around. You should not attempt to install them too tightly,
they need small gaps everywhere.

This I know. There is a small gap between the door jam (rough opening) and
the entry door frame (less than 1/4"). There is zero gap between the entry
door frame and the storm door frame. If I go to the trouble of doing as you
suggest I would go the extra mile and put in a real door and storm door.

However, the point I am trying to get an answer to is how the door frame can
shrink on the outside edge only when there is an aluminum threshold
preventing the frame from moving in. It was only jamming at the bottom foot
to foot and a half. There was still a gap between the rough opening and the
frame (I looked under the molding). Nothing anyone has said makes any sense
of the situation. After returning a week after this problem developed the
problem is gone, for now.

Mike Dobony