Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default wire colors

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 05:39:26 GMT, "Patt" wrote:

The two wires coming from the ceiling electrical box are, one brown and one
red. To put in a new light fixture that has a black a white and the ground
wire,,,what wire goes to the brown wire and what to the red wire? Regarding
the green ground wire what would I do? Also if I was to put in a
light/ceiling fan what wires would go to the brown and red wires from the
ceiling.

First thing I would do is test whether the mounting box is
grounded (via armored cable, or anything. If it is,
you can find out which incoming wire is hot by testing with
a neon tester against the case. If it's not, you'll have
to test against the ground wire of an extention cord.

If the box is grounded, that's where the ground for the
lamp goes. The black wire on the lamp goes to whichever
wire is hot in the mounting box, the white one goes
to the other.

Note that to do this test, you have to shut off the power,
take the ceiling box apart, spread the wires,
turn the power back on, test all the wires to see what's
what, turn the power back off, and mount the
lamp.