Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tylernt@gmail.com is offline

Default compact fluorescent bulbs...extremely slow

I have some vanity-globe style Sylvanias in the bathroom
Where do you even find those?

It was either Lowes or Home Depot... probably Lowes. They were not
prominently displayed and were often out of stock, took me several
trips to find them and collect 4 of them.

Well, that lets out most ceiling fixtures. Guess you can use 'em only in
lamps.

I guess I'm lucky, most of my ceiling fixtures have the bulb
horizontal. I do use CFLs in my ceiling fan, where they hang at about
a 30 degree angle from vertical. I had one set of straight CFLs that
only lasted a little over a year, but I now have a set of spirals in
there that are doing better -- only one infant mortality so far after
a couple of years.

Come to think of it, I do have a base up installation in the laundry
room, and it's in an enclosed glass globe to boot. Hasn't failed after
5 years, though of course it's not used heavily.

This can be an advantage in dark areas where there are people who may
not expect the light to be turned on.

I agree, but not in a guest bathroom where guests feel like they're
using the toilet in a cave.

Also, I recommend against CFLs for motion sensor lights

Not only that, but they often don't work in motion sensor fixtures
because they are not a 100% resistive load. That can confuse the
motion-sensing circuitry -- I know it did on mine, so I had no choice
but to use an incandescent.