Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon Stroud Simon Stroud is offline

Default Tiling the floor (kitchen)

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Vass" writes:
Best to tile up to the wall?
or install units and tile up to the legs of the units because I'm using
plinths to hide them?
latter is cheaper but is it the right way to go?

I tiled to the wall. I'm expecting the tiles to last longer than
the rest of the kitchen. A "professionally" installed kitchen
tiled up to the plinth, except in the gap for a washing machine
where they go right back to the wall. The effect of this was to
leave insufficient height for some standard washing machines
under the worktop, as the units are all standing on a lower floor.
The nice thing about DIY is you can do it properly.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Hmmmm... that suggests the legs on the units were set to the wrong height
(like I did when I fitted my kitchen about 10yrs ago).

Symptoms of wrong-height legs include:

- appliances that won't fit under the worktops because the tiles are too
thick
- having to trim a few mm off the plinths so that they will fit in between
the tiles and the bottom of the cupboards.

We'll shortly be reworking our kitchen a bit and dumping the tiles in favour
of something like Karndean flooring (quite a bit thinner). Hopefully I can
just slide the plinths down the cabinet legs a bit and there won't be a
noticeable gap at the top!

As others have said, I'd tile to the wall where you plan to slide in
appliances, BUT adjust the cabinet legs to be a bit higher if you can.

Regards,
Simon.