Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Power factor, electricity meters and CFLs ?

In article ,
Tim writes:
Hi,

Nick wrote:

Could someone explain power factor for me please (and I guess a few
others) ?

Power factor = 1 means that voltages and current are in phase
Power factor = 0 means they are 90 deg out of phase.
In all cases, PF = cos(V/A phase angle)

No, that's only in the special case of a current phase shift,
which actually doesn't apply to CFLs (or at least, isn't the
main contributor of low PF in that case).

In all cases, PF=W/VA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_power

Unfortunately, that's really not a good article. The author doesn't
seem to understand the difference between power and energy.

--
Andrew Gabriel