Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

Default wire colors

On Feb 27, 5:20 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Deke wrote:
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 05:39:26 GMT, "Patt" wrote:

The two wires coming from the ceiling electrical box are, one brown and one
red. To put in a new light fixture that has a black a white and the ground
wire,,,what wire goes to the brown wire and what to the red wire? Regarding
the green ground wire what would I do? Also if I was to put in a
light/ceiling fan what wires would go to the brown and red wires from the
ceiling.
Patt

Patt, it makes no difference how you connect them.

False.

The neutral conductor is supposed to be connected to the shell of the lamp,
and the hot conductor to the central contact pin. The purpose of this is to
reduce the risk of electric shock when changing light bulbs.

The light or fan
will work just fine either way you hook it up.

Yes, it will -- but one way is safer than the other way.

It makes a difference. If there's a switch on the lamp, then your
neutral would/could be interrupted, another no-no. Tom