Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

Default MFM controller cards

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 17:51:31 +0000 (UTC) (Geoffrey S.
Mendelson) wrote in Message id: :

Ken Weitzel wrote:
Anyone else remember "stiction" ?

Sure. It started out on 40meg Quantum brand 3.5inch SCSI drives. Due to the
quickly changing technology, Quantum got as far as the LPS (Low power) 105 meg
drives before they found out about the problem and replaced the grease.

I've heard of a few 20 meg drives having it, but have never seen one.

Where there other manufacuters?

As far as I know, it never affected MFM/RLL/IDE drives.

We had a large number of stiction failures on Rodime RO3055 40MB ST506
drives. Recovering the data for our customers consisted of a quick flick
of the drive on it's axis of rotation, then copying the data to a new
drive.