Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Global Warming - It NEVER Happened Before

In article , D Smith wrote:

I am going to repeat some questions orignally posted a few weeks ago by
Bob Grumbine in another group. (He hosts the web site I referred to in
another post.) Please tell me which of the following points you disagree
with:

There is a greenhouse effect

Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas

Atmospheric concentration of carbon dioxide has increased over
the past 150 years

The source of that increase is human activity

Half credit on that one. The source of *part* of that increase is human
activity. Asserting that *all* of it is, is an article of faith, not science.

Elementary physics shows that if concentration of greenhouse gases
increases, climate warms

*** That one, right there. ***

The causes of climate change are, at best, imperfectly understood, and to
argue that a *single* factor is "the" causative agent is to leave the realm of
science and enter that of speculation. In an obvious exaggeration for the sake
of making the point, suppose that solar output were to diminish by fifty
percent at the same time that atmospheric CO2 levels were rising. Would you
still argue that "if concentration of greenhouse gases increases, climate
warms"?

The global surface temperature record shows the last 20 years to have
been warmer than the previous 100.

There's another one. That isn't true: *ground*-based temperature monitors have
shown an increase due to increased urbanization, but *satellite* temperature
monitors show a slight decrease.

And even if it *were* true, it's still equally consistent with anthropogenic
and non-anthropogenic causes.

I'll also ask the same question Bob asked when he raised the points:

If you disagree, what is your scientific basis for disagreement?

See above.

[No, I won't have to go back to Bob for answers - I'll respond directly if
you post a followup]

--
Regards,