Posted to rec.woodworking
waney will waney will is offline

Default Artificial Mica Lampshades for theater

Richard wrote:

Hi guys,

I am building some props for a show and the setting needs a couple of
Arts and Crafts style table lamps. I have no trouble making some
convincing props, but I would like to make some mica-like shades for
them. I've thought of using some heavy paper and tinting it, but are
there other inexpensive options that would be more convincing?

Thanks,
Richard

I made a shade using Thai art paper on lexan sheets, varnished with
semigloss poly, that resembles silver mica.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7133961@N04/404230789/

I'm sure you can find a more amber-tinted paper if you want the
traditional mica look. Long-life low-wattage bulbs (I used two
appliance bulbs) will enhance the effect.

Will