Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Uninterruptible Power Supply question

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 23:13:29 GMT, wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 26, 4:19?pm, "N8N" wrote:
On Feb 26, 11:47 am, Bennett Price
wrote:

(Long thread of helpful hints snipped)

Thanks, guys. Don't worry, I realize I'm not an EE (though I do have access
to one), so no dangerous acid-based homebrew kludges. I am 99% certain there
is no mechanical faults in the circuits, since the units worked when stored
away, and the odds of the same fault in 2 units not in use is slim to none.

My first thought was that the sealed batteries crapped out, and several of
you seem to support that. No time this month, but when I get a slow day,
I'll open the units up, using the instructions from vendor website, and see
if any of the supply houses in town have drop-in replacements for less than
half what it would cost to get new UPS units from Sam's Club or mail order.

Measure the voltage on the current ones before buying new. Even on
the UPSes that don't work without batteries there must be a lower
voltage limit for them not to work.

Based on prior experience in my day and side jobs, I predict these are 'not
economical to repair, based on expected remaining lifespan'. So one question
remains- how do I legally get rid of old ones? 'Free' pile in spring garage
sale? Keep watching ad paper for county HazMat day?

Baltimore County has four places, one of which takes batteries. In
addition the junk yard I go to most often takes batteries, maight even
pay a bit for them (I didn't ask) and I would think most junk yards
reccyle car batteries as well as these.

But I don't believe at the right store the price of baytteries is
alsway close to the price of a USP. Prices vary widely on the net, for
example.\

The size is in the url. None of this is more than 20 including
shipping. I havent' dealt with him but the vendor has 2400 sales and
a 100% positive rating, over 4 years Except one of the four doesn't
give shipping costs. Shipping is half for items after the first one..
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-12V-4-5AH-Em...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-12V-8AH-Emer...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-6V-4AH-Emerg...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/6V-4AH-Battery-F...QQcmdZViewItem