Posted to rec.woodworking
J. J. is offline

Default 3 years off -- how to store?

The bronze bodied LN tools will not corrode but their blades might. So
wrap the blades in an oiled cloth.

Put a heavy coat of wax on everything else.

How many of us have obtained cast iron tooling from damp basements that,
with a little elbow grease, shine right up and work as well as the day
they were made? I should expect your bandsaw, DP, t-saw etc to do well
if oiled and waxed and put on casters so that they'll move easily.

Sticker and crate the lumber yourself. You're the only one in the room
that knows how to treat it right.

I see no reason why a plywood chest with the remainder of your hand
power tools wouldn't survive a couple of years of storage in a dry,
constant temperature and humidity facility.

That last point is probably key. You gotta know where this stuff is
going and how the place is operated. The run of the mill mini storage
shed on the side of the highway probably isn't what you want. Finding
the right place may be more trouble and expense than you've bargained for.

(If the storage facility makes you worry about your tools, what might
your matresses, sofas and clothing smell like when you get back?)

You sure you don't want to lend us some of those tools while you're gone?

J.

Never Enough Money wrote:
I'm taking a foreign assignment for 2 to 3 years. The company is
paying to store my household thing (which include my garage
woodworking shop). Any advice on how to pack/store my valuable Lie-
Nileson and Veritas tools, all my hand power tools (routers, jig saws,
etc). How about my table saw, band saw, drill press, etc.

I suppose the movers will five me some advice when they come to scope
out everything.

It's going to be tough not woodworking for 2 or 3 years but, hey, this
assignment is a chance of a lifetime.

No, selling is not an option.
No, letting you keep it while I'm gone is not an option.

TIA.