Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike in Arkansas Mike in Arkansas is offline

Default Artificial Mica Lampshades for theater

multiple coats of amber shellac did a fine representation of mica for
me on a couple of lamps. Dries fast so you can put on several coats
in an hour or so until it gets to the shade you want. I applied it to
an off white plastic material but if heat is going to be a problem in
the theatre I'd use glass as another poster suggested. Amber shellac
is available at Lowes or Home Depot.

On Feb 26, 4:35 pm, "Richard" wrote:
Hi guys,

I am building some props for a show and the setting needs a couple of
Arts and Crafts style table lamps. I have no trouble making some
convincing props, but I would like to make some mica-like shades for
them. I've thought of using some heavy paper and tinting it, but are
there other inexpensive options that would be more convincing?

Thanks,
Richard