Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Artificial Mica Lampshades for theater

On 26 Feb 2007 14:35:40 -0800, "Richard" wrote:

Hi guys,

I am building some props for a show and the setting needs a couple of
Arts and Crafts style table lamps. I have no trouble making some
convincing props, but I would like to make some mica-like shades for
them. I've thought of using some heavy paper and tinting it, but are
there other inexpensive options that would be more convincing?

I've got a couple of inexpensive Tensor lamps that use some colored
acrylic pieces in a plastic frame, surrounded by what looks like some
kind of art paper backed with what appears to be thin white styrene
sheeting (the kind you get at hobby shops)--the result is far better
than it sounds.

If you google "imitation stained glass" you'll find some other
techniques that might be useful.