Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default compact fluorescent bulbs...extremely slow

In article , Mitch wrote:
I bought some compact fluorescent flood bulbs to replace the recessed
bulbs in my kitchen as they burn out. So far I've got 2 installed.

Both of them have this problem. About half the time they work fine.
They have the normal delay that compact fluorescent's have, but that's
fine. The other half of the time, only the very upper part of the
bulb lights. Then the light slowly "creeps" down the spiral. Takes
about 5 minutes!

Anyone else experienced this?

I have had similar effects, from the bulb being cold. This varies with
the temperature of the bulb.

However, in my experience spirals usually warm up in half a minute to a
minute.

Now, another issue for compact fluorescents in recessed ceiling
fixtures: They may overheat and short life may result. It is recommended
to use ones that are specifically rated to take the heat of recessed
ceiling fixtures. The Philips SLS ones of 15, 20 and 23 watts (though not
the dimmable one) are rated for such use.
Otherwise, keep your fingers crossed - they may or may not burn out
early.

- Don Klipstein )