Posted to alt.home.repair
tammac,stove,register plate,soot tammac,stove,register plate,soot is offline

Default chimney scarifying

I have a 60 year old chimney in my house that is square brick built.
It gets swept twice a year by the local council and has not shown to
have any problems to date, except for the odd small piece of what
looks like pointing coming down very occasionally. There is a
Charmwood multi fuel stove fitted and I only ever burn coal.
The problem is, the council have decided for the first time in 60
years, that they want to scarify the chimney, and I am worried that
this may cause damage and lead them to condem the chimney, which is
operating perfectly at the moment.
Could you please advise me on this.

Tom.