Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony Mike Dobony is offline

Default Amazing Shrinking Doorway!

"Don Young" wrote in message

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
t...

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
. net...

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 18, 9:03 pm, "Noozer" wrote:
"Mike Dobony" wrote in message

t...

"Noozer" wrote in message
news:j98Ch.1046448$R63.545125@pd7urf1no...

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
.net...
We recently moved into a '96 mobile home and have developed an
interesting problem. The storm door opening is narrowing at the
bottom.
The frame doesn't seem to have moved (there is a metal threshold
between
the door frame sides), but now the door is too small for the
opening.
The storm door frame is tight to the wooden frame. We have been
in the
trailer since early November and have not had a problem. We have
been
having generally warm weather (above freezing), but recently had
near
zero temps lately and are in a warming spell again, up to 50
today. Any
ideas would be welcomed!

Any chance that it's a cheap door and IT is swelling?

Aluminum swells?

I didn't seem Aluminum mentioned anywhere.

Then I'd agree that the ends of the trailer may be drooping and
squeezing
the frame.

how about frost heave ?

The ground isn't frozen. In fact, it started after the temps went above
freezing. Trouble is, the door frame width is locked in by the
threshold. There is no sign of any compacting of the wood frame against
the aluminum threshold. The main door is still a good fit. It didn't
change, only the storm door.

Got back from the trip and the door now works fine again. It has been in
the 60 all week. The entry door has only a slightly larger gap than the
storm door. If the door frame got squeezed enough to require forcing the
storm door open and closed, why did the gap on the entry door not change?
They share the common door frame!

The inner and outer edges of the door frame do not necessarily remain an
equal distance apart. It is entirely possible for the outsides to move
closer together without the insides doing so.

Even with an aluminum threshold there to keep the sides from moving in?

In other words, the jamb can
twist slightly. You can probably jack or lever the outsides apart slightly
if needed. Everything in the world is elastic, just some things more than
others.

I tried to move it, but only cracked the door frame. It refused to move,
even after removing the screws on the storm door frame. There was no room
to move as there is no gap between the storm door frame and the entry frame.

Don Young