Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy robo hippy is offline

Default Musing on Arch's musings

On Feb 26, 12:09 pm, Bill in Detroit wrote:
wrote:
I say screw 'em. However you get the wood shaped the way you want is
your business. Scrape, cut, grind, drill, or saw any way you want to
get to the end is your business. Probably 99% of all turners are
hobby guys anyway, so why not learn the easiest way to do something so
you can get the most pleasure out of your hobby?

Every area of human endeavor seems to have its Pharisees who want to
insist on the 'right' way to (pray, carve, turn, dance, quilt, cook ...
fill in the blank).

Will their way work? Sure.

Is their's the only way? Jesus sure didn't think so. Whenever they got
in his way, he handed them their butt in a paper bag.

Those guys who turned the worlds biggest bowl didn't use a (Oneway,
Stubby, Woodmaster, Robust ... again, fill in the blank) ... they used a
farm tractor.

The only tool before the finish that matters is the final one. For most
of us, that tool is sandpaper. How you get to the the sanding stage is
up to you.

Bill
is worth a **** unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000717-1, 02/26/2007
Tested on: 2/26/2007 3:09:38 PM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2007 ALWIL Software.http://www.avast.com

I have figured for some time that the scraper is misnamed. With the 3
basic tools; scrapers, gouges, and skews, you can shear cut and scrape
cut, it depends on how you present the tool to the work.
robo hippy