Posted to uk.d-i-y
gmw gmw is offline

Default Over-claimed efficiency of CFL energy saving light bulbs

On Feb 26, 9:09 pm, John Rumm wrote:
gmw wrote:
I think the problem could be due to supply voltages. I suspect that
CFL output is more sensitive to supply voltage than pearls, in which
case we need 230V rated CFLs if we are to get the claimed output.

In reality incandescents tend to be affected far more by supply voltage
fluctuations that CFLs

Thanks John.

That makes sense to me.
I was looking for possible excuses for the disparity between the
maker's claims and my measurements, but it would make the disparity
between the claimed and actual performance comparison between filament
bulbs & CFLs @ 240V even worse.

I have just logged a complaint with the Advertising Standards
Authority.

I seem to have stirred up a hornets nest with my first ever posting.

I will try higher powered CFLs, if I can find them. The best I could
find the last time I looked at B&Q etc is 20W / "100W".
I agree that they would save my electricity bills. However I suspect
that they would also increase the much worse pollution in by China
more than is saved in the UK.
At least we in the UK have the benefit of nuclear power (for the
moment...) (whose pollution is containable by good engineering) and of
wind power (occasionally, when the wind blows strongly enough at the
right time, which is not as often as the hype would have us believe).

Still, who am I to spoil the party. There is a lot of money to be
made, rearranging the deckchairs on the green bandwagon. Some of it
MIGHT do more good than harm.
(ducks for cover)
Regards.