Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Over-claimed efficiency of CFL energy saving light bulbs

In article , Steve Firth
writes
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 13:08:59 +0000, David Hansen wrote:

CFLs are not yet ready to replace conventional bulbs.

Incorrect.

No, he's correct. However to the hair shirt and sackcloth brigade no doubd
sitting in gloom gives them a feeling that they are "saving the planet".

I have used CFLs for some time - they do last longer than most ordinary
bulbs (in my experience), they do sometimes take time to come up to full
brightness (some makes more so than others), they do dim a bit as they
age (which at least means you know when to buy a new one) and they can't
be dimmed (pain!)

I also wonder whether they are really a green saving - what chemicals,
etc. and energy is required to make them, does the balance of life and
in use power reduction actually match the production cost? Anyone know?

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail