Posted to alt.home.repair
Big_Jake Big_Jake is offline

Default Wet saw breaks tile at end of cut

On Feb 26, 8:24 am, "Cactus Jack" wrote:
Hello, all. I recently bought a 7" wet tile saw. Nothing fancy, just
an inexpensive Home Depot saw. The saw does a great job of cutting;
however, on some types of tile, at the end of the cut it tends to chip
or break a corner off the tile. Does anyone know a way to prevent
this from happening? The only thing I've found that seems to help is
to slow down the tile feed to a creep as I approach the edge of the
tile, but this does not always prevent the chipping.

Thanks,
Jack

I've had the same issue from time to time. The cause is that the
blade is "prying" the tile apart, and when you get near the end, the
last little bit of tile breaks off. You have the solution - go slowly
at the end. You could also cut partway from one side and then turn it
around and finish the cut. The ultimate solution is to get a serious
saw - not cheap.

JK