Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow Mike Marlow is offline

Default Why do chisels have to be sharp?

"Mike Dembroge" wrote in message
Okay, you guys are missing the point. Never did I say or imply that it's
not important for other items to be sharp (shovels included I guess. I'm
not sure I would classify a shovel as a woodworking tool. Maybe if your
chainsaw won't start though ;-) ). My point was that nobody states that
they need to be sharp in order to use them with the same regularity and

zeal
that they do chisels. Of course a scraper and plane iron need to be

sharp,
but it's never mentioned explicitly. It's implied.

Oh, I don't think anyone really missed the point Mike. In fact I think the
fact that everyone really did get the point is evidenced by the humorous
of like people calling the thing in your basement a Hot Water Heater. Hot
water needs no heater, but that's what it's called. In like manner, for
some reason the admonishment for a sharp chisel has taken on a life despite
the obvious redundancy or inexplicability of it.

--

-Mike-