Posted to rec.woodworking
Never Enough Money Never Enough Money is offline

Default 3 years off -- how to store?

On Feb 26, 2:49 am, wrote:
I went through the same thing when I moved overseas, to Japan, five
years ago (at the time I was only planning on two).

The first thing I did was sell off any tools which I figured I would
be upgrading anyway. Then I separated all my tools (actually all the
stuff in my house as well) into three basic categories:

1. Tools that I would be keeping in long term storage until my return
to the States.
2. Tools that I would be keeping in mid to long term storage with the
possibility of having them shipped to me overseas at some later date.
This stuff was sorted specially and packed safely enough to be
shipped.
3. Tools that I would be bringing with me right from the start.

The tools I brought were some of my most prized hand tools - planes,
chisels and carving knifves, etc..

For the tools that got packed in storage I wiped over with camelia oil
and packed them in boxes with desiccant packs. I bought a case of
those packets from some company I found on the net. (Note I've found
that camelia oil tends to harden a bit over the long term and can take
some effort to remove.)

A corner of one room in my apartment has served as my "workshop" for
the past five years and I dream of the day I'll have a real shop
again. However, I've worked on some nice projects during this time
and my hand tool technique has improved considerably since that's all
I am really able to use in this situation.

Sell tools? Hmmm.
My drill press, mortizer, and Laguna band saw are all less than 2
years old. My Unisaw is 15 years old. My jointer is 10 years old. My
planer is really old -- Makita doesn't even make the model any more.

So maybe I keep the newer tools.......and Craig's List the others.