Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Williams Tony Williams is offline

Default Over-claimed efficiency of CFL energy saving light bulbs

In article ,
John wrote:

I have tried a variety of CFLs and I now call them "3D" lamps -
Dull, Dismal and Dreary.

Experiments done under laboratory conditions with excellent test
gear can produce all sorts of reliable and replicable results
but the human eyes vary enormously. I'm quite prepared to
concede that it's my eyes at fault rather than the CFLs
themselves but, for me anyway, I'll not give these wretched
things house-room.

I agreed with you about 5 years ago, but have just
retried CCFL. A single 24W globe replacing a 100W
incandescent far outshines it, and 3x 11W bent tubes
easily replace 3x 40W bulbs.

In both cases though they take some 5 minutes, (or
more), to creep up to full brightness, so I can see
a case for retaining incandescents where the lamp
is on for only brief periods.

--
Tony Williams.