Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Quick question about copper pipe soldering

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
The sources that I've read, and actually there are quite a bit of them,
all say that a green flame indicates the joint is ready. It does seem
to work that way too, the solder typically doesn't melt until that point
is reached.

Some years ago I worked at a place where they did production soldering of
joints. Thousands of joints per day. No one ever used a green flame as
a guide.

Nor have I ever seen a Bernzomatic heat up a joint in ten seconds,
especially for the lead free solders.

Practice a bit more and heat a bit more.

Sometimes the flame will change color when you gas is getting low
especially with acetylene. I have never heard about a Green flame as an
indicator the pipe is ready, but do I know I'm just a plumber.

Read my response to Ed, that's where I picked that up.