Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Quick question about copper pipe soldering

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
Green flame = too hot too fast. what are you heating with?

--
Steve Barker

I'm using a propane torch. You know, the old Benzomatic

The sources that I've read, and actually there are quite a bit of them, all
say that a green flame indicates the joint is ready. It does seem to work
that way too, the solder typically doesn't melt until that point is reached.
I'm undoubtedly moving too slow when I apply the solder, but green flame
seems to be the right point - about the time the flux stops smoking.

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
So far my efforts are working out learning how to do this, but I have a
couple of questions

I'm heating up the fitting and the flame on my torch turns green. I say
"Okay it's time to apply the solder" so I'm finding that I can't make it
around the entire circumference of the joint without reheating. Is that
normal or am I soldering too early?

Also, when torching a 1/2" fitting, I'm moving the flame around the heat
the fitting evenly - is that really necessary?

Anyways I don't need a primer on how to solder, there's plenty of
resources out there for that. But I just had a couple of questions about
what I'm seeing.