Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Quick question about copper pipe soldering

Usually if you see much green the copper is too hot. Even heating is
important. I just gently tap the joint with the solder until you feel/see
it melt, heat just a little more, then push the solder onto the joint. If
the surfaces are clean and well fluxed the solder should quickly flow into
and around the joint. Don't pile excess solder on, always a sign of
unprofessional work.

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
So far my efforts are working out learning how to do this, but I have a
couple of questions

I'm heating up the fitting and the flame on my torch turns green. I say
"Okay it's time to apply the solder" so I'm finding that I can't make it
around the entire circumference of the joint without reheating. Is that
normal or am I soldering too early?

Also, when torching a 1/2" fitting, I'm moving the flame around the heat
the fitting evenly - is that really necessary?

Anyways I don't need a primer on how to solder, there's plenty of
resources out there for that. But I just had a couple of questions about
what I'm seeing.