Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale Upscale is offline

Default 3 years off -- how to store?

"Patriarch" wrote in message

Life changes in two to three years. If you're still interested, buy
new, bigger & better. But the cost of the storage, even if someone else
is paying it, is more than the value of the tools. BTDT.

I have to agree with this 110%. When I moved from a house into an apartment,
I put all my tools into storage. At $100 per month rental costs, five years
later, I realized that I'd spent $5000 on storage costs and still had no
idea when I'd be putting them to use. At that point I sold most of them off
including my contractor's table saw to a close friend for a really low
price.

I get to go over to my friend's place to use the table saw on occasion, I'm
spending $100 less per month and I don't have the worry and hassle of going
over to the rental place on occasion just to confirm that some miscreant
hasn't broken into the room and ripped me off.

If and when I do get a place to work again, I'll be perfectly happy to spend
money on a new cabinet table saw and enjoy the process of building up a
workshop again. My father ingrained into me that 'you just don't ever sell
your tools', but times change and there comes a point where it just doesn't
make any sense not to change with them.