Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hugo Nebula Hugo Nebula is offline

Default Is this floor plan legal? (re building regs)

On 25 Feb 2007 13:59:23 -0800, a particular chimpanzee named "mmzz"
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Is not a protected stair route required to meet regulations, even
with an escape window?. .I'm contemplating a loft conversion and it
is going to be very difficult to provide a protected stair route from
the ground to first floor. (First floor to loft would not be hard to
protect)
And I would be interested to know what the new regulations are, and
whether I need to get plans in quick

You could be better waiting. The current requirements are for a fully
enclosed (but not protected- the existing doors can remain provided
they are fitted with self-closers) route from second floor to the
front door.

The new Part B will allow an open plan ground floor, provided that it
is sprinklered, there is 30 minutes separation between the ground and
first floors, and there is an escape window from the first floor.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/eng...314683674.html
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"