Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tnom@mucks.net is offline

Default Multimeter + outlet = spark

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 13:28:20 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 14:48:20 GMT, Art Todesco
wrote:

As others indicated, if you were on DC
current, that is basically a short
circuit. Most, if not all meters have a
fuse inside to protect against just
that type of thing.

This is not so. If such a circuit was in place every time you'd
measure DC you would have to have the polarity correct
otherwise you would blow this fuse you are talking about.

Fuses exist in some multimeters but they are not in the DC
voltage circuit. Instead a high impedance circuit is in place
whether it is AC or DC, + to - , - to +.

I should read your post more carefully. I assumed you were referring
to DC voltage, not current.

Ignore the above reply as it is referring to voltage.

Dc current circuits do, as you say create a short that will spark
when used on voltage.