Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart B Stuart B is offline

Default Is this floor plan legal? (re building regs)

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 17:09:54 +0000, Jake wrote:

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 11:35:14 -0000, "tim....."
wrote:

"Stuart B" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 22:50:23 +0000, Jake wrote:

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 22:24:46 -0000, "tim....."
wrote:

Does that still make them a legal fire exit, do you know?

No it doesn't. (You can't smash through a DG window with
the things you will find in a bedroon)

But it's too late now.

I could change the windows to ones that have opening sections big
enough to climb through. Would that solve the issue?

I believe that putting the door the other side of the corner
so that it opens directly into the lounge and having a door
between the lounge and kitchen would be compliant, if
that is what you want to achieve.

Sorry I couldn't follow the above. Which door on the other side of
which corner?

I think he /she means moving the external door so it is in/on the wall
90 degrees to the left of where it is just now ...opening directly in
to the Lounge ....The other point about a door betwen the Lounge and
Kitchen ....Presumably there is no door at present...it isn''t shown
there anyway ..just an opening ..but then the bathroom hasn't one
shown either .!!!

Sorry, wasnt clear.

Timonena (no, not really) meant the main entrance door.

AIUI the rule is that there must be an escape route from a
bedroom, which doesn't pass through a kitchen, this being
the most likely room to have caused a fire.

I see. Thanks for the suggestion re the door. I had never thought
about that option, but it certainly would be feasable. I probably
won't bother though (unless ordered to by BC at some point) as the
current layout has been that way for about 13+ years.

I might leave a 'jentle-persuader' i.e., lump hammer, on the bedroom
window sill instead. (-;

Jake

You can buy pointy hammers made specifically for persuading DG glass
to break .