Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ping Raden/Ed

In article ,
raden writes:
In message , Adrian C
writes
If I were an enterprising soul, I would be putting together a crack
team of gas boiler experts, electronic and software engineers and
setting out building a replacement PCB.

I thought about it, I was even in touch with the person who wrote the
original firmware. That's not the problem, the problem is Potterton -
the case is currently in court ATM against someone who has done just
that

Hum, on what grounds? I could imagine HSE having an issue with
it if it's not GC approved, but I can't see Potterton would have
a leg to stand on.

It might not need to be reverse engineered from the originals, such
would be the expertise of the engineers to design something from the
ground up that does something useful with the rest of Potterton's
hardware. It would, of course, be submitted to whatever regulatory body
exists to certify it's use as part of a safe gas appliance.

It has to be approved by Potterton if it is to be put in one of their
appliances

or the board manufacturer gets it GC approved themself. That might
be hard without Potterton's cooperation though.

--
Andrew Gabriel