Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Why do chisels have to be sharp?

On 22 Feb 2007 21:39:07 -0800, "Father Haskell"
wrote:

On Feb 22, 8:33 pm, "Mike Dembroge"
wrote:
"Father Haskell" wrote in message

ups.com... On Feb 22, 6:56 pm, "Mike Dembroge"
wrote:

It has always struck me as odd that writers and authors always mention
"sharp" when discussing the use of chisels and not other tools.

Then you're not reading enough.

Really? Do you have an example of something in a recent article or
publication where a tool, other than a chisel, was mentioned as needing to
be sharp?

Yes. Bench planes. Card scrapers. Files. Handsaws.
Shovels...

I think ya'll are missing Mike's point. What I am reading from his post
is that he does not disagree that tools need to be sharp, just that the way
articles are written, only chisels seem to be singled out and specifically
called out to be "sharp" chisels. What (as I read it) he doesn't see is an
article that uses the words, "with a SHARP scraper ... " or "with a SHARP
shovel ..."