Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb Tim Lamb is offline

Default Ping Raden/Ed

In message , Adrian C
writes
raden wrote:

Although you do get cracked solder joints, there are other problems too
Oh that it was that simple

If I were an enterprising soul, I would be putting together a crack
team of gas boiler experts, electronic and software engineers and
setting out building a replacement PCB. It might not need to be reverse
engineered from the originals, such would be the expertise of the
engineers to design something from the ground up that does something
useful with the rest of Potterton's hardware. It would, of course, be
submitted to whatever regulatory body exists to certify it's use as
part of a safe gas appliance.

If you intent to use *flow* soldering to save on production cost, you
might consider component thermal mass when mixing mains connectors with
delicate integrated chips on the same circuit board.

Then think of the potential market.

Yes:-)

regards
--