Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default american standard actuator/flapper problem

On 24 Feb 2007 08:47:21 -0800, "Big_Jake"
wrote:

On Feb 24, 8:27 am, Tony wrote:
I've got a 30-35 year old American Standard toilet that needs to have
the actuator assembly replaced. Symptom is that when I flush, the
actuator tips back beyond the point where the actuator can fall back and
enable the toilet to refill. As such, I have to jiggle the handle a
little to get that to happen. I've looked at the plumbing supply
websites and I'm "assuming" that the part I need is the "Actuator for
Old American Standard Toilets". I looked at the #4 and #5 AS actuators
and I'm guessing they are for more modern AS toilets than mine. So I'm
basing it on the age of the toilet. So before I do this, I have a couple
questions that hopefully someone could answer as this will be the first
time I've replaced an actuator:

1) How do these actuators fail...in other words, what on the actuator
causes the assembly to tip back beyond the point of resealing the toilet?

2) How easy (or hard) is it to replace the assembly? I've been on a
couple other sites and some posters reference leaking problems at the
base after replacing one of these.

3)Does the whole assembly have to be replaced or can the base of the
actuator be left on and the rest of the new actuator be fitted onto the
base of the old actuator?

Honestly Tony, I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but why troubleshoot
and fix a 35 year old toilet when you can pick up a nice Kohler
Wellworth at Home Depot for about $100?

I'm not Tony, but

A toilet he knows he's satisfied with instead of one that he might not
be.

A half hour installation time instead of 2 hours
(or 10 minutes installation time instead of an hour)

20 dollars instead of 100 dollars,
compound interest on 80 dollars for 20, 30, 40 years = 500 to 4000
dollars

An extra vacation, or never being short of money, or
not depending on your chidren or handouts from the government for
expenses when you're old, PRICELESS.

JK