Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Multimeter + outlet = spark

wrote:
I mistakenly left my digital multimeter on DC when i went to test a
wall outlet, and it threw a spark and charred the tips of my
multimeter. I had always been told it would not do such a thing, even
on the wrong setting. However, I am now timid to recheck the outlet
on the AC setting. So, I used a outlet plug light indicator and it
said everything was kosher with the outlet. Can anyone tell me why
the spark?

Tom

Hi,
My guess is your meter setting was wrong causing the meter act like
direct short. In any event fuse must blow unless wrong fuse was in the
meter.