Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** is offline

Default Power quality monitor -- cheap?

If a 4800 or 7200 V overhead crossed with the secondary lines to ANY
home, I would expect there would be plenty of damage to go around. In
fact, I doubt a typical opto isolator is big enough (lead distance) to
prevent arc over in the worst case.

ray13 wrote:

On Feb 23, 12:38 am, **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**
wrote:

Right! which reminds me some time back, I gave Helga some bad advice
involving live electricity and a swimming pool. She hasn't posted since!

;-P

Homer J Simpson wrote:

"John Gilmer" wrote in message

Why should he?

It's the equivalent of use a "scope" probe to look at line voltage. The
"danger" is at the probe tip but not at the end going to the scope.

No, it isn't. The designer of the scope will have at least contemplated what
happens when you are examining a live circuit at 120 or 240 volts. Will the
designer of the computer have done as much?

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P

I am still shaking my head, nobody mentioned a GFI.
Isolation transformer is an oxymoron.

I can show anybody how an Isolation transformer won't provide any
isolation what so ever. When that 4800volt line that is over head of
the 220 Mains, drops on the 220 lines, that so called isolation
transformer is toast. It happened to my neighbor. Power company said
it was an act of god. Until the neighbor came up with the defective
splice, (that wasn't crimped) they used on the 4800volt line.

I would use a high speed opto coupler with 6000 volt isolation.

73

N8ZU

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT