Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Radiosrfun Radiosrfun is offline

Default Mystery component in Sam's PhotoFact

"Bill Jeffrey" wrote in message
j wrote:

I want to say it's a transient
protection device but I honestly don't remember it that well.

Unlikely to be a transient suppressor, given its position in the circuit
you described. (I don't have a better idea, BTW!)

Actually, the whole circuit you described doesn't seem to make much sense.
Starting with 200 VDC (not VAC, right?), the power supply will push 200
microamps at most through the 1 M resistor. If the whole 200 uA passes
through the diode, the 1N4007 (a rectifier diode) will be barely in
conduction, so the voltage developed across it will be perhaps 0.5 volts.
If some of those microamps are shunted through the mystery device, then
the voltage will be even less.

Again - why not post a scanned picture or digital picture of the part of the
schematic in question - with an arrow pointing to the part in question - in
the Binaries group so ALL can see it and know for SURE - what the hell it
is. I've seen guys offer suggestions and the OP seeming to refute each one
of them. At this rate, no one will ever know - including the one who needs
to know - the OP.