Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default Propane vs Natural Gas

Hi Bob,

I think you're right. A lot has changed over these past few years and
any price advantage has diminished greatly. Here in Nova Scotia,
natural gas is currently selling for $15.33 per GJ, which works out to
be the same as heating oil at $0.595 per litre. A year ago, it was
selling for $20.41 per GJ or the equivalent of $0.792 per litre.

See:
http://www.heritagegas.com/convertin...ss/b_rates.asp

As of my last delivery (January 11th), I paid $0.759 per litre and
this time last year, the price stood at $0.839/litre.

That said, I still prefer gas to oil and would switch even if oil were
cheaper (with the exception of my boiler/indirect hot water tank, all
my appliances are propane). I would happily pay a small premium
simply to get ride of the oil and propane tanks, especially the
latter.

Cheers,
Paul

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 03:01:02 -0500, "Bob Pietrangelo"
wrote:

[...]
Ed, believe it or not Oil was cheaper to heat with this year than NG. I
don't think you can compae the two in price. One year ones higher and the
next year the other is. I think it is genuinely a wash in the long run...